Friday, August 16, 2013

Tropical pineapple and coconut cake - No FFwD



This week is makeup week at French Fridays with Dorie.  The only recipe that I haven't made so far is salmon in a jar - and I ain't making that.  So this week, there is no FFWD  from me.

I wanted to start with a shout-out to the lovely guys at J&T Electrical in Ashburton, who saved me from a weekend without baking by fixing my errant Kitchenaid.  The pivot pin had come nearly all the way out and would not go back in, despite all of my substantial will being applied, but J&T Electrical fixed it for me in a few minutes.  Hooray - I am back in action!

Instead of FFWD, this Friday I am bringing you an absolutely delicious Pineapple and Coconut Cake, based on a recipe for Coconut Pineapple Crumb Cake by Gesine Bullock Prado at G Bakes.  It is a beauty.

Instead of making the recipe into cupcakes like Gesine, I made one big cake, and I skipped the crumble topping - I could not live with adding 4 sticks of butter on top of the 2 sticks in the cake.  I also made a couple of other tweaks.  The end result was magnificent, and the cake was enjoyed whole-heartedly by my colleagues.



If you would like to try this tropical treat, you will need:

250g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup drained crushed pineapple

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Spray an 8" round deep cake tin with oil, then line the base with baking paper and spray the baking paper with oil.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.  Add the flour and combined alternately, starting and ending with the flour.  Mix until just combined.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in the coconut and pineapple

Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin, then bake for one hour or until cooked through.

Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then unmould onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Slice and enjoy!

13 comments:

Kari said...

This cake looks fantastic. I'm so glad you made and posted it instead of salmon in a jar!

Blond Duck said...

Man, I'm all over this!

yummychunklet said...

No worries! I'm having trouble finding a ffwD make-up because they're mostly recipes with no-no foods for me. Great cake instead!

Cher Rockwell said...

The salmon in a jar was really rough - I can't fault you on skipping that one.

The cake looks amazing... I have a couple of Gesine's books - her creativity is inspiring.

Johanna GGG said...

I much prefer this cake rather than salmon in a jar - you really have done well with FFWD to only have one you haven't done - that deserves a working kitchen aid and a slice of that cake - sounds devine and is so beautifully high

Mardi Michels said...

Ah see now I make ALL the food - I just don't eat it all ;) Well, most of it but salmon is one of my "absolutely not" foods so my hubby and friends in France last summer were the recipients of that one! This cake, on the other hand? I could totally get behind that!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I also made a pineapple and coconut cake! How's that for two minds thinking alike? :) I think I was yearning for something tropical :)

The Caked Crusader said...

Wow. I am taking this recipe to a 'convert cups to grams site' as quick as I can type!

Kathy said...

Wow, that is some beautiful cake! I didn’t do FFWD this week, either.

Blond Duck said...

Happy Tuesday!

Chaya said...

Delicious describes this cake.

tanya1234 said...

mmmmmmmmm thankx alot

Kayte said...

Oh, yeah, I would much rather look at this stunning cake than a photo of salmon in a jar. I can't imagine how hard you have worked making all the other recipes, and what a trooper. I am a bit of a picky eater so early on I knew that I was not going to be a good group member as I was liking maybe 2 of the 4 recipes or maybe 1 of the 4 at times...anyway, I gave up trying to fit in but I have looked at all the recipes you have made along the way and I have done several that I made just because they looked good on your blog and you made a good case for them. Congrats on getting this far with all except the salmon in the jar bit...and thanks for posting this cake instead!