Thursday, July 10, 2014

Stout, Apple and Ginger Cake


I am always fascinated by the use of stout in baked goods.  Nigella's stout cake with its frothy frosting looks just like a Guinness in cake form.  I have made a similar chocolate stout cake myself previously.

Recently, Ruby Tandoh (formerly a contestant on The Great British Bakeoff) featured some stout dessert recipes in The Guardian.  I was intrigued by her Stout, Apple and Ginger Cake.  This cake features stout teamed with dried apple and ginger, which sounded like a perfect trio to me - beer, cider, ginger beer!   I also liked the fact that it was topped off by a tangy cream cheese frosting.

I went out and bought a small bottle of stout especially to make Ruby's stout cake, and here is a peek inside:


Being a fruit cake, this cake is reasonably moist.  However, don't skip the cream cheese frosting - it really brings the flavours together and makes the cake.

Tim approved of this cake, and it disappeared at work, so I am giving this recipe a thumbs up for being something a little different.

9 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Lookin' good, Cakelaw! I just popped over to that site, (I was curious about the frosting:) and I tell ya, that Chocolate Sout Pudding sounds pretty intriguing too.

I love that this recipe uses dried apples too. Your cake looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing...

Cakelaw said...

Hi Louise, I made the pudding too with the leftover stout - post coming soon.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That cake sounds fantastic and cream cheese is my favourite frosting so a big thumbs up from me too! :D

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmm this does look really tasty :D
I need more experience with stout!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

~~louise~~ said...

I was hoping you were going to share the pudding too, Gaye. I'm craving virtual chocolate in a bad way!!! I'll be watching for it:)

Ivy Sew said...

Looks so awesome and tempting. Something new to me but I like it. Thanks for sharing and cheers :)

Kari said...

Oh, this looks fantastic! Totally my kind of cake, even if I wouldn't usually buy stout :)

Johanna GGG said...

ooh - you have made this one as well as the chocolate pudding from the article - they both look so good

Kayte said...

Apple and Ginger always have my attention. And lately, Stout has been generating some interest here as well. I have never cooked/baked with it but I am seeing so many interesting recipes using it that I think it is time I hauled out a recipe and tried it...this looks like just the one and I am sure I can reduce this to a 6" cake size to make it more manageable for eating around here. Lovely photo of it...that is my downfall with cake...you always have such lovely photos of them and they always look so enticing and delicious.