Monday, September 15, 2014

Apple, Rye and Ginger Teacake


Recently, Frank Camorra of Movida fame published a recipe in The Age for an Apple, Rye and Ginger Teacake.  It looked really good, with an apple layer in the middle of the cake as well as on top.  However, I didn't have any rye flour.

Fate played into my hands when my colleague Swee and I went to a health food store, which lo and behold, sold rye flour (rather pricey at $7.50 for a 1kg bag, compared with 75 cents for a bag of plain flour at the supermarket).

I had apples at home, so a cake was born:   


I am with Frank, who says in his opening comments that:

When making a cake at home I look for one thing: ease. Nothing puts me off more than fiddly, time-consuming recipes.

Amen to that.
 
This cake was moist from the apple and all round delicious.  It's a definite keeper.
 
I also bought these gorgeous cupcakes from Sophisticakes, who were represented at a food and wine event in the bottom of my office building: 


Flavours were passionfruit, lemon, red velvet, white chocolate and strawberry, white chocolate and raspberry and salted caramel.  I shared them with my friends and colleagues, but these tasty little cakes were a steal at $2.50 each.  The lemon one (bright green) had a heart on top, but I later found it underneath the strawberry one (butterfly) - probably just as well, as I gave the lemon cake to my boss.

Have a great week!


7 comments:

2paw said...

Oh I Pinned that cake because The GardyGardeners love ginger, I shall make it for morning tea this Wednesday on your recommendation. 75 cents for a kilo of flour?? Wow, $1-39 Four Roses is the cheapest here. It's a local brand and I try to support them, we also have the excellent Callington Mill flour.

Kayte said...

Rye flour in a cake...interesting. I like the idea of apples and rye together, though, so that must work out lovely. Those cupcakes are beautiful...just beautiful. Good price on those for sure! Love the butterfly.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Interesting recipe! My in laws use rye flour a lot as they are Finnish. I wonder if they would like this recipe?

Johanna GGG said...

I see rye flour in recipes occasionally but don't stock it in my kitchen often as it doesn't get used much - have had a look at my bookmarks (because I am wondering if I buy some for the apple cake) and this one seems one you would like (and me too) http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/may/21/honey-treacle-cake-recipe

Cakelaw said...

Hi Cindy, it was 95 cents until recently - perhaps a temporary reduction?

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Johanna- must try it.

Kari said...

A simple cake with these flavours ticks all of my boxes. I do get frustrated at expensive flours though. HOW can they be so much more than standard wheat?!