Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Paleo Chocolate Celebration Cake


Regular readers will know that I don't subscribe to the paleo diet; however, that does not stop me from being attracted to some of the paleo recipes that I see, which sound delicious.  One such recipe was Lola Berry's recipe for Paleo Chocolate Celebration Cake, from The Happy Cookbook, also published online here


This cake has quite a prominent coconut flavour as well as chocolate, as the cake ingredients include coconut milk and coconut oil.  This was a positive for me, but may not appeal to all.



The flavour of the cake was deliciously chocolatey, despite there only being cacao powder used as flavouring.  However, the key drawback for me is that the cake is quite crumbly when compared with standard cakes, which makes transporting and cutting it a little more difficult than the norm.  However, that in itself is not enough of a reason not to make it if you are looking for a gluten-free, dairy-free cake for a celebration.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post! the cake looks delicious!

Combined with good exercise I think the Paleo diet is great and I recommend it to anyone. I am seeing and feeling the benefits of the diet for a long time now. Not only have I lost weight, but I feel much more energised, and much better in myself. I think the reason is that whilst the paleo diet may be a diet, I do actually eat much much varied food than I did previously. All I've done is taken out the stodge that my body finds hard to digest, and added more types of fruit, veg, and indeed meat.

I've now actually taken an interest in cooking paleo meals, which I can guarentee is 100% better than throwing some ready meals in the oven like I used to.

I'm just reviewed a cookbook that shows exactly this: http://cookbook-reviews.net/review-the-paleo-grubs-book/

Johanna GGG said...

Looks like a good healthy cake - I am with you in finding that the paleo diet has interesting recipes but is not for me. The recipe looks interesting but I would use regular cocoa as I am not keen on raw cocoa.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love coconut and chocolate with coconut so this would be a definite winner for me! :D I dip into paleo eating but it's not full time at all!

Kari said...

I too am not a paleo follower but as you say, the recipes can be interesting. This looks impressive given the ingredient restrictions!