Friday, August 14, 2015

Apricot Madeira Upside Down Cake and the Melbourne Cake Club


I recently joined the Melbourne Cake Club, a group of people who meets once a month to share homemade cake.  How cool is that!

The theme of my first Melbourne Cake Club meeting was Upside Down Cakes.  Six cake bakers met at The Oriental Tea House in Little Collins Street on the first Thursday of August to drink tea, talk about cake and yes, eat cake.

I brought an Apricot Madeira Upside Down Cake, pictured at the top of this post - the recipe is online here.  It was a light and fruity cake which people seemed to enjoy.  The only change I made to the recipe was using almonds instead of pistachios on top of the cake:




Nicole brought a banana and coconut upside down cake:


Banana and coconut are a match made in heaven, making this a delightful cake.


Cara brought a chocolate caramel nut upside down cake:


I loved the chocolate and caramel flavours in this one - it reminded me of a Snickers bar.

Our leader, Dalya, brought a pear gingerbread upside down cake:


This cake was the perfect treat for a cold winter's night, and would be a perfect Christmas in July bake.
Sue, the group's gluten free baker, brought a banana upside down cake:



The caramelised bananas on top of the moist cake were scrummy.

Finally, Abi brought an orange upside down cake: 


This cake was so pretty, and tasted very good.

I chose a raspberry and lime tea, which was very refreshing:

 
We all got to try a slice of each other's cakes at the meeting: 
 


Even better, the leftovers were divided up and we all took some of each other's cakes home: 



How good is that!

I am looking forward to my next Melbourne Cake Club experience.

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh what a fun cake club!! I can't imagine anything better than getting together to eat cake and drink tea :D

Anonymous said...

I want to join your cake club! Pity I am in Sydney! They al look amazing, great work.

Johanna GGG said...

Sounds like fun - is it like the clandestine cake clubs in the UK that seem very popular there? And I always love apricot cakes - looks great

Pam said...

Cool! Sounds great to meet and eat cake! And yours has to be delicious, never had apricot cake, and upside down is even better! Thanks for sharing

Cakelaw said...

Hi Johanna, yes, it started off as a Clandestine Cake Club, but they decided to leave CCC and go pyblic so they can get more members. Anyone can join.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, what a fun group of bakers to join! All the upside-down cakes look fantastic and I certainly would not mind having a good slice of your beautiful Apricot Madeira Upside Down Cake - it looks so moist and I can just imagine a slice alongside a nice cup of tea!
Andrea

Kari said...

What a great club! And a perfect setting for you :D All of the cakes look delicious.