Friday, August 21, 2015

White Chocolate and Raspberry Mud Cake for Janet


 
Sadly, today is Janet's last day working with us.  She is moving on to another position, but we will miss her greatly.
 
I am not sure what kind of cake Janet likes, but I decided to make her a white chocolate and raspberry mud cake, inspired by the fact that at Monday's RSPCA Cupcake Day (post to come), the flavour that sold out first was the white chocolate and raspberry muffins.
 
After fruitlessly looking through six of my cookbooks for a recipe, I gave up and went online.  The recipe that I chose for Janet's cake can be found here.
 
 
The only change I made to the cake recipe was to use spelt flour instead of ordinary flour.  My reasons had nothing to do with health, but rather, the fact that I had run out of ordinary flour!

The cake smelled devine as it was cooking and cooling - sweet but not overly so.



I did not ice the cake with the white chocolate ganache.  Instead, I made my go to Primrose Bakery Vanilla Buttercream (a half batch).  For the writing, I used Queen chocolate writing icing, and suffered the usual issue that the icing gets quite firm in the tube, making it hard to pipe.  The sprinkles around the edge of the cake are Chocolate and Raspberry Crumble (a mixture of chocolate shortbread crumbs and freeze dried raspberries) from Burch & Purchese.

Here is a peek inside at my piece of cake:



Best wishes to Janet - she will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

Johanna GGG said...

It looks beautiful. Have you seen Eat Your Books - it is great if you have heaps of cookbooks because you can enter an ingredient or two and find where it is in lots of cookbooks - I don't use it as much as I should but I have found a few recipes that way.