Saturday, November 21, 2015

Banana and Coffee Cake


I recently made a gorgeous Banana and Coffee Cake recipe by Julie Goodwin that I found in the September 2015 edition of the Australian Womens Weekly.  The recipe also called for a caramel sauce to be served with it, but I didn't think that was necessary.

The cake was gorgeous and moist, and is one of my favourite banana cake recipes.  One of my colleagues asked for the recipe, so it can't have been too bad.



To make this cake, you will need:

185g butter
Stevia - the recipe says 1 cup (245g) - I thought this sounded mad so I used 18 x 2g stevia sachets, equivalent to 1 cup of sugar, which seemed quite enough
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups/335g self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups/525g mashed ripe banana
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup/200g sour cream
1 cup/100g roasted chopped walnuts
1/4 cup/60ml boiling water
3 teaspoons expresso coffee granules

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius., and grease and line a 22cm round cake tin.

Beat the butter and stevia in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Add the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, mashed banana, vanilla, sour cream and walnuts and combined water and coffee and combine using a rubber spatula.  Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.

Place the cake in the oven to bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked through.  Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Slice into generous wedges to serve as is, with caramel sauce or icecream.

6 comments:

Kari said...

I don't think I've ever had banana and coffee together in a cake - which now seems a terrible omission. Thanks for the idea!

2paw said...

The coffee does sound like an interesting addition. I love the idea of sour cream and walnuts, but I agree that the caramel sauce sounds a bit much. It is always nice when someone asks for the recipe!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love banana and coffee cake together. Even if I don't drink coffee I love the flavour of it in cakes and baking :D

The Caked Crusader said...

You can never go wrong with AWW recipes - I swear by them. Nice looking cake and a recipe request is always proof that it's good!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I've never had a banana coffee cake, but it sounds really delicious!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gye, this looks like such a wonderfuly moist cake with great flavors - banana, coffee, and walnuts go so well together!