Thursday, July 21, 2016

EwE - Greek-Style Spinach Rice - It Isn't Easy Being Green



For Eating with Ellie this week, I chose the theme of It Isn't Easy Being Green.  Ellie has lots of fabulous vegetable recipes in her books, so I decided to choose something along that line for a side dish.

I chose Ellie's Greek-Style Spinach Rice from Weeknight Wonders.  In theory, it sounded great - brown rice and frozen spinach cooked with tomato paste and onion, with optional feta.  I left out the feta but otherwise made the recipe as written.

Unusually for me with an Ellie recipe, I didn't take to this dish.  It was too bland for my liking - a little too close to rabbit food.  Unfortunately, it won't be a repeat.

To se what the other Ellie cooks made this week, visit the LYL section of the Eating with Ellie website.

8 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

what a shame you didn't like it - I loved the sound of it - maybe feta would make a difference in the taste but also maybe you need the quantities adjusted to your taste - but I guess they can't all be winners as we all have different tastes

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think this dish needs feta. It adds saltiness and so much flavour too.

Kari said...

I'm sorry this didn't work out...I wonder if it needed some more oomph with seasonings or spices? It would have been healthy if nothing else, I guess!

Diane Zwang said...

It does look green. Sounds like the proportions were off on this one. Better luck next time.

Kayte said...

Okay, it all sounds good...well, except for the frozen spinach which I do not care for at all, it just isn't my favorite and when she uses that I just toss some fresh spinach in at the end and wilt it the tiniest bit and call it a day. So when I make this dish, I will probably do that as I'm not eating it otherwise, lol. I think feta would definitely have given it a flavor boost. I made Brussels sprouts and believe it or not, Mark ate them! Truly liked it...miracles happen! :-) Thanks for picking the theme this week, it was fun and delicious for us.

Peggy said...

It is green! Sorry you did not like it. Probably would not be on my top of things to try unless you gave it rave reviews!

2paw said...

It does sound really tasty, so I am sad it is not. Even though green is my favourite colour, I do not always like lime things, well fake lime as in milk shake flavour.

TeaLady said...

Oh, well, cannot win them all. I'm with Kayte. Fresh spinach might make it better. Like you said sounds good in theory!!