Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Old Fashioned Apple Pie


Don't you hate it when you buy apples and get them home, to find that they are rather bland and chewy?  That happened to me recently, and I was left with over a kilo of apples that weren't much good for eating as they were.

Rather than waste the apples, I decided to make an apple pie.  I made my apple pie using a combination of recipes so that the end product fitted in with what I wanted.



I flicked through Pie It Forward by Gesine Bullock-Prado and came across her recipe for Vermont Apple Pie.  She makes a rough puff pastry for the crust.  However, the rough puff pastry makes an enormous amount of dough, which uses a correspondingly enormous quantity of ingredients (only a quarter of the recipe is required for this pie).  Instead, I opted to make Dorie Greenspan's Good for Almost Everything Pie Dough (a double recipe for a double crust) from Baking - From My Home To Yours

Pastry sorted, I only made half of the filling in Gesine's recipe because I only had 5 apples.  I probably should have used a stronger cheese in the filling, because I really couldn't taste the mild cheese that I used.

Regardless, pie is pie, and this one tasted really good.  It was a great way to use up substandard apples and turn them into something delicious.  

5 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I really want to try apple pie with cheese in it - this looks really good

and it is almost amazing how dull apples become brilliant when stewed

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Good idea using them for a pie. I like your classic crust pattern too! :D

Catherine said...

Perfect for the beautiful summer berry's. xo

2paw said...

I read a lot about using cheese in an apple pie, but I have never had the courage. Looks yummy!!!

Kayte said...

Your apple pie looks really lovely...and I know a thing or two about apple pies as apple pie is Mark's favorite dessert and I make at least two a month plus others to share around. That's a lot of apple pies, and I think yours looks wonderful.