Tuesday, July 12, 2016

TWD - Cornmeal and Berry Cakes



For this week's Tuesday with Dorie, I have chosen to make the Cornmeal and Berry Cakes.  These are simply little cakes made with cornmeal and olive oil, and hide berries in their heart.  

I decided to make cupcake-sized cakes instead of 4 mini bar cakes (because I don't have the tins).  I also used frozen mixed berries instead of fresh raspberries in the centre because it is the middle of winter here.

These cakes were surprisingly light, and the cornmeal adds a little texture.  The berries are a nice surprise in the centre, especially if you don't know that they are there.

To see what the other Dorie bakers made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

11 comments:

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

I really love cornmeal in baked goods, I bet these are delicious!!! Love that there is a surprise in the middle.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I love that these had a bit of cornmeal. And I'm sure you know how much I love berries! These look terrific!

Mardi Michels said...

These are tasty - I made cupcake sized ones too - love the berry surprise in the centre!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I always think of cornmeal items as a little heavy so it's nice to know that these are light! :D

Johanna GGG said...

Sounds good to me - like healthier versions of jam doughnuts

Diane Zwang said...

Frozen berries work well all year round. We enjoyed these too. I guess next you will be making a Fall Galette? Have a great week.

Beth said...

Sounds delicious! The berries are a lovely addition.

Zosia said...

Berries would be a nice surprise to find in a cupcake. I liked the flavour of these but the texture, not so much.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks to imported US fruit, I made the summer galette! You have a great week too.

Nicole said...

What a lovely surprise to find unexpected berries hiding within!

Kayte said...

I am going into the kitchen right now to set out the things to make this recipe. I love things like this and so do the guys...yep, I'll be right back while I set the ingredients out on the counter to come to room temp and then continue to catch up on your posts. Nice photography!